Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kawsaki's Disease

It has been awhile since I have updated this blog. Life has been crazy. I decided to go back to school and started at the University of Utah in January. I am going to get my Masters of Education in Special Education Severe emphasis. I am already taking grad classes but I am officially applying on tuesday. I am so excited. I finally found exactly what I want to do and I can't wait! I've been super busy with school and then in the beginning of february Raeli got super sick. Around this same time I had to get some references for Graduate school so I went to volunteer at a school where my in laws knew a special ed teacher. I was going to wait until a week letter but I felt prompted to go the week before. I am so glad I followed that prompting. The day before I left to my in laws she started acting sick and that whole night she had a fever of 102 that wouldn't drop with tylenol. I went to the doctor's before I headed up to my in laws and they said she seemed fine and she came back negative for RSV. While at my inlaws her fever still didn't drop so we went into the ER and they took some tests and sent us home. The next day her fever still didn't drop and we were in the ER again. Again they sent us home. They had done tons of tests and still couldn't figure out what was wrong. The next day, so Friday she was throwing everything up and couldn't keep anything down, even her medicine so we went back to the hospital. They have been giving her antibiotics everytime we went in and fluids. Friday night a rash started and it was much worse on Saturday. Saturday night she was starting to become lethargic and stopped showing interest in even her formula so we went back to the hospital. This time they admitted her and started to load her with fluids. She started to get swollen and her left eye was swollen shut. They did a lot more tests. They even did a spinal tap and she was so sick that she didn't even cry when she had it done. I knew then that something was soooo wrong. Sunday morning they did an ultrasound and found lose fluid so they thought her appendix might have burst so they life flighted her to Primary Children's. We followed in the car and that was the longest drive of my life. I was so worried about her. When we go there she was just getting worse and before she went in for her laborscopy the anaetheseologist told us to prepare for the worst. I lost it then. I went in the waiting room and bawled on the floor for pretty much the whole time. I prayed and prayed so much for her to be ok and I know that Heavenly Father heard my prayers. In a blessing she had recieved earlier in the week it was mentioned that this sickness would be a process and that we needed to have faith for her to get better. This trial certaintly made my faith grow because the only person who could help my daughter and that moment was Heavenly Father. She did make it through the surgery and her appendix was fine. She was then transfered to the ICU and for a while they thought she was septic, but then they discovered it was Kawasaki's disease. Kawasaki's disease cause inflammation of the arteries and viens and can lead to annorisms. The symptoms are a high fever over 5 days that won't break, rash, red eyes and lips, a "strawberry" tongue (looks like a strawberry), and swollen lymph nodes. The reason they couldn't diagnose it earlier is because they don't know what causes and they just have to wait for the 4 of the 5 symptoms to show up and they finally did on the 7th day of her being sick. If it is treated in the first 10 days then that is the best time. She was treated twice with the treatment and we were discharged from the hospital. She just had an echo on her heart and one of the arteries had dialeted before the treatment and it was exactly the same but nothing else changed which is good. She will have to echo's every year of her life and take aspirin or something else everyday to keep her blood thin. I want to thank everyone who fasted, prayed, and did anything else for us. It means so much to me. I honestly believe that all the fasting, prayers and faith is what saved my daughter and I am so thankful. We are so blessed and now we are just taking one day at a time. What else has happened? Reeses died in January. He got out at my inlaws and was hit with a car. I was so sad for a couple of days because I missed him so much. Over time dakota and I decided to get a new puppy. We named him Hiro after Hiro from the show heroes (we are obsessed). He is a good dog. Getting better at being house trained and is a sweetheart. Nothing else new has really happened. Just dealing with busy life as usualy and so grateful for our amazing family.

No comments:

Post a Comment